Imagine turning millions of pounds of recycled post-industrial waste into products that help plants grow. At TO Plastics our world is not round, it’s square. We help growers reduce their costs by consuming less space and reducing the amount of water and fertilizer needed through our production of industry leading square pots and other growing containers. In addition to our work that helps save our planet, we also help save lives. By creating best-in-class sterile barrier packages for some of the world’s largest medical device companies, our packages protect medical instruments used in operating rooms around the world. If you are interested in repurposing waste, supporting plant propagation, and helping save lives through medical technology, check out how you will learn and grow with our manufacturing team.
T.O. Plastics is seeking an experienced Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Manager to lead the safety and environmental programs at our Clearwater and Otsego, MN facilities. The EHS Manager will engage with others within the facilities and our corporate offices which will require strong verbal and written communication skills. Candidates will be self-motivated, organized, possess strong analytical skills, and be task oriented. The ability to be influential, work collaboratively and a critical thinker are key to the success of this position.
This position is responsible for the following tasks, duties, and responsibilities:
- Direct the development of the general health and safety policies and procedures. Maintains OSHA compliance with all applicable OSHA, state, federal laws and regulations and corporate safety programs and procedures.
- Monitor environmental compliance and oversee environmental assessments performed at all T.O. Plastics locations.
- Promote a culture of safe behavior and make safety the number one priority for each employee and encourage safe working practices.
- Perform job site analysis/safety audit, determine employee exposure, identify opportunities for improvement, document findings and implement corrective actions.
- Manage injury management activities and worker’s compensation issues. Conduct detailed incident investigations and near misses to identify root cause and implement the proper corrective actions.
- Develop and conduct trainings on OSHA regulations and company policies to ensure all required training meets the standard.
- Maintain all required documentation related to safety. Prepare applicable reports as needed.
- Develop, revise, and maintain company safety programs.
- Liaise with managers to determine training needs and schedule training sessions.
- Design, deliver and maintain effective operations training programs.
- Design and prepare educational aids and materials.
- Supervise the orientation and on the job training for new employees.
- Coordinate use of outside technical training resources as necessary.
- Identify and report any unsafe work conditions, behaviors, or incidents.
- Follow and adhere to all safety procedures.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor/manager.
Education, Experience and Skills:
The qualifications listed above are guidelines. Other combinations of education and experience could provide necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform this job.
- Associate or Bachelor’s Degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Safety Management, or related field is required. A minimum of 5-10 years previous work experience in the health and safety field is required. Management experience is preferred.
- Working knowledge of OSHA and state and federal agency guidelines. Able to read and interpret legal and federal OSHA documents.
- Demonstrate familiarity with machinery and products, production processes and systems.
- Strong desire to continue learning and working as a safety professional and in creating and continuously improving a safe work environment.
- Proven experience as corporate trainer – ability to complete full training cycle (assess, plan, develop, implement, monitor & evaluate).
- Understanding of effective teaching methodologies and tools.
- Possess strong leadership, communication, presentation, and public speaking skills.
- Exhibit strong organizational skills and time management skills.
- Possess solid problem-solving and analytical abilities.
- Demonstrate ability to remain calm and cool-headed in the event of an emergency.
- Proficient with Microsoft office products: Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
What We Offer:
- Career Advancement - Tremendous opportunity to get into a growing organization for career advancement in the commercial organization (sales, marketing, product, commercial excellence, and customer service).
- Training & Professional Development – We offer sales and product training for the role, but more importantly we focus on developing talent. We will have an individual development plan to enhance skills, provide mentorship and build industry knowledge.
- Growth Culture – We’re a commercially driven company that wants to grow with customers. You will experience and benefit from growth minded people developing new product innovations, discovering new markets and the willingness to test new concepts and ideas.
- Pay for Performance & Attractive Benefits – We offer a pay for performance compensation plan (base salary plus incentives) and comprehensive benefit plan including medical, dental, health savings account, gym membership discount, 401K match contributions and much more.
- Tuition Reimbursement – We offer tuition reimbursement to further your education.
Working Environment and Physical Aspects:
The characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position requires work to be performed in both office and the manufacturing environments.
- Time will be spent on the job site monitoring conditions and inspecting work areas.
- Work performed in the well-lit manufacturing environment may include regular exposure to flying dust and debris; the smell of burnt plastic; high decibel equipment and loud noises; and extreme temperatures ranging from subzero up to 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The manufacturing environment is fast-moving and may require the mobility to bend, stoop, lift, carry, lift above shoulders, push, pull, walk, and stand throughout the duration of the shift.
- May be required to exert up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body and lift up to 50lbs on an occasional basis.
- Must be able to wear all required personal protective equipment consistently and correctly. This may include wearing safety glasses, ear plugs, gloves, other safety equipment as designated, and adhering to the safety dress code.
- Work performed in the controlled and well-lit office work environment has few physical hazards.
- Visual acuity, manual dexterity, and hand function may be required to complete data entry, use technology, and complete other tasks as assigned.
- Workweek will require support to 24/7 operations and on sight investigations of injuries.
- Travel to satellite offices may be required.